January’s CMXvan meetup was a fast-paced evening of demos and Ignite-style mini-presentations on the tools, services, and techniques Community Managers use to create more impact.What are the indispensable pieces of software in a Community Manager’s toolkit? What are our secret weapons to allow us to work productively?
Community Manager’s Toolkit Demos
NOTE: this is gonna be Mac-centric, but there’s equivalents for all of this on the PC.
Sophie Bujold uses Miro to create instantly shareable videos for tutorials, stewardship, and relationship building.
- Get Loom
- Free plan available
Sophie Bujold’s key key of software for working remotely with her clients is Miro. Scalable, secure, cross-device and enterprise-ready team collaboration whiteboard for distributed teams.
- Miro | Team Collaboration Software
- Free plan available
Google Forms and Form Ranger
Dylan Morgan demonstrated Google Forms and Form Ranger.
Form Ranger allows you to auto-populate the choices in list, multiple choice, checkbox or grid question options from columns of data in any Google Sheet or Doctopus roster.
Then Eli did a string of demos…
Putting An End To Repetitive Typing
- Pricing: $40/year
Creating screencasts for member support and training
Copy and Paste board…. keep your last 100 items in your cut and paste board.
- Alternative: Ditto. Free! Awesome!
- $13 forever
The Noun Project
Icons for every topic.
You have one thousand passwords. You need help!
- Pricing: $36/year
The Un-CRM that makes sure you never forget anything.
- Many of the features are getting added to gmail, like “nudge” and “send later”. But the “nudge” can’t be set or controlled. It’s all magic algorithm.
- But you can set it to resurface emails that have not received replies.
- Free for 10 scheduled emails, then $60/year
Easily turn plain text into HTML (or whatever other formats you need)
- Markdown cheatsheet
- Markdown converter
- Use an app like Typora
- Show copying in HTML and then to blog.
Apple Text Services
Text cleanup and transformations built into the OS.
- Highlight text and then get: Statistics , Title Case , ALL CAPS, and more.
- Set your own keyboard shortcuts: System Preference -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts
- Additional options: WordService set