NetSquared Vancouver has been holding NetSquared Camp unconferences since 2010. These Barcamp-style events consist of programming created by the participants, which means the format is a great way to feature the collective wisdom of Vancouver’s nonprofit technology community. Plus, they’re super fun!
However,the format means the event is inevitability uneven and roughly hewn. Some people are comfortable with that, but others need a bit more polish to get that they need from an educational event. So, let’s polish! I promised fewer, but better events in 2014 and this is what it could look like.
Proposal: a two-day event in May consisting of a conference and a camp
What do you think? I plan to noodle this problem over during the Christmas holidays and I’d love your feedback.
DAY ONE: Conference
A full day event held in a conference-style venue.
The day will feature around five innovative thinkers in the nonprofit space who are experienced public speakers. They will each present for 1 hour. The day will be capped by a keynote speaker who is probably flown in.
- When: A Friday in May. 9:30 AM – 5:00 PM with evening social
- Venue: conference-style room with lecture or banquet seating
- Catering: Coffee, snacks and lunch provided
- Price: Between $50 and $100
DAY TWO: Camp
A community-driven summit organized using open space technology. The day will follow the model of previous NetSquared Camps.
- When: A Saturday in May. 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Venue: The HiVE or similar venue
- Catering: Coffee and snacks provided, but you’ll have to take care of yourself for lunch
- Price: Cheap!
Net2 Pacific Northwest
This gathering will also be a great excuse to bring together NetSquared organizers from across the Pacific Northwest and California. Using a travel bursary offered by TechSoup Global I intend to invite NetSquared organizers from San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and Victoria to join me on the Wednesday before the conference for a one-day community powwow. Our guests will then be invited to join us for the next two days of nonprofit technology goodness.
Questions to Be Answered
When will the event be held?
I expect the event to be held on one of the following sets of dates:
- Friday, May 2 – Saturday, May 3
- Friday, May 9 – Saturday, May 10
- Friday, May 16 – Saturday, May 17
What will be the theme of the conference?
This is still being decided. I’m kicking around these ideas:
- Survive and Thrive: The Transition to Online Fundraising
- Why Should We Care?: How Your Organization Can Become a Master Storyteller
- Postcards From the Future: What Nonprofits Need to Do Now to Prepare for a Digital Culture
- Digital Strategy: Getting Beyond Facebook and Twitter
Who is the target audience?
We want to reach managers and Executive Directors of small and medium-sized charities who are looking for insight into how they can develop an effective digital strategy for their organization.
What will the conference cost?
Somewhere between $50 and $100. A screaming deal for a full day event!
Where will the conference be held?
TBD. But the floors will be clean and we’ll provide lunch.
How many attendees will there be?
We expect between 60 and 100 attendees.
OMG! That sounds amazing! How can I become a sponsor?
Don’t be shy. Email [email protected]