My grandpappy always used to tell me to “go where the audience is.” (Well, not really, but he should have! Because it’s great advice.) That’s why most nonprofits joined Myspace, and then abandoned Myspace for Facebook when their supporters made the same move.
So, we use paper mailings, email, webpages, social media, public events…. we go where the people are. And increasingly nonprofits’ current and potential supporters are watching video online. So let’s go there too, because the latest research suggests that 50% of internet users are watching online video at least once a week and 32% of all internet traffic is already video (with that figure expected to double by 2013.)
Net Tuesday November 2010: online video for non-profits
Date: Tuesday, November 2
Time: doors at 5:30pm, Starts at 6:00pm, and finishes at 7:30pm
Location: W2 Storyeum, 151 west Cordova
Special features: amplified audio and adequate seating for all!
- A 30-minute overview of the Youtube grants for nonprofits program, plus a demonstration of some fun features like captioning and translation, annotations and call-to-action overlays.
- A 1-hour panel with seasoned experts working in the field who will address the hows and whys of video for nonprofit. How can video help advance your mission? Is it worth your time? Where can you find help in creating a video? How do you promote your video? What makes a “viral video”?
- Steve Rosenberg, Pull Focus Film School (a nonprofit film school)
- Devon Wong, David Suzuki Foundation (video intern)
- Steve Anderson, OpenMedia.ca (creator of several videos that went “viral”)
- plus a special secret guest
A special thanks goes to our sponsor, W2 Creative Media Arts Society, who provided the venue.
More stuff you should know:
- The David Suzuki Foundation is hiring a Senior Marketing Coordinator to lead our direct mail and online fundraising. If you or someone you know would be a good fit please apply ASAP.
- Jason Mogus and Lauren Bacon are presenting “Are you web ready?” for nonprofit leaders on November 9. It promises to be fabulous. I’ll be there, and you should too. RSVP now.
- FreshMedia is hosting Remixology 3 on November 6. The Topic is “The future of media”
- Communicopia is looking for a new office-mate. Looking for a new office? Check it out.